The Lundquistador lands in Uganda and is immediately gasping for air because of the in your face humidity. But before we get to Uganda, lets talk layovers.
In NYC I happen to be waiting in a long line for British Airways and see some desheveled firl frantically trying to make her bag 7 pounlds lighter, which suddenly brings a thought to my mind that maybe my body bag is over the limit. As I get closer to this woman I start texting rnadom people telling them I'm in NY, when all of the sudden I hear "Are you kidding me?!" As it turns out this girl was one of the volunteers in my program and the one I've talked to the most leading up to the trip. She figured everything out turns out gummy vitamins weigh a lot.
At JFK we hang out at the bar for awhile and realize a large group forming tables outside the bar, realizing its our group we spy on them for awhile and finish our beers so as not to look like alcoholics in front of a group which we'll be staying with for the next 6 weeks (now you might be thinking, a group of teachers surely must be able to drink together, and yes this is true, found it out after some mini bottles of wine on the plane).
The flight to England had some turbulence which lasted awhile but we made it safe and ended up using our 12 hour layover to check out parliament, figure out what time it was at Big Ben and eager walk to the London Eye only to turn away after realizing how expensive it was.
And now the flight to Africa. This had even more turbulence, but my nerves were calmed with the movies and tv you could pick from (Best part: watching the episode "Worlds Best Burger" from the show How I Met Your Mother).
After the plane landed, we had to walk off the plane, down the stairs and there we were...in Africa. My first phrase included some profanity but it went something like "_________ we're in Uganda!" (Use your imagination). Checked in at the Hostle, got some food and pushed through the heat of the day. If you're asking yourself "huh when did Andy get the chance to sleep?" Well I got a few hours on the flights but from the moment I'm typing this, all the way back to when I got up at 6am (with a bit of a headache) in Seattle, has felt like one single day. Its been rough. And on that note I'm heading to bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment